Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Had steroid injection. Prescribed with hydroxychlorquine and methotrexate. Any alternate medication?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with mild rheumatoid arthritis after my first appointment with a consultant yesterday. I had a steroid injection yesterday and have been prescribed hydroxychloroquine to start taking immediately. I have been given a prescription for Methotrexate which I have been told to take when I am given the okay by hospital once they have results of chest x-ray and blood tests. I have done some research on Methotrexate and spoke to a pharmacist friend and am concerned about taking this drug. It seems a rather radical drug for a mild condition. I would rather take a milder alternative and see how that works first before putting such strong and potentially harmful drugs in my body. Is it beneficial to my condition just to take the hydroxychloroquine and see how it goes with just that.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012