Diagnosed with prolapsed disc in neck. Is surgery the only way to cure it?

I have just been diagnosed with a prolapsed disc in my neck and my doctor advised that although she isn t a specialist it s fairly big and therefore will require surgery. A few weeks ago I was even struggling to dress myself the pain was so severe but it s rapidly become manageable. I didn t ask many questions as I was surprised but she mentioned quite a few c numbers involved and from what I ve been reading online I would only have expected two to be mentioned. I m 41 years old, have a desk job and work long hours and I m fairly fit and healthy and not overweight (although struggling with lack of exercise right now). Any explanation you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013