Diagnosed with para supra ventricular tachycardia. Varapramil advised with magnesium. What is the effect of this on heart in future?

Currently I have been identified as having para supra ventricular tachycardia with no past history of heart disease and otherwise in good health. ( stats; 5 8 tall, 146 lbs. 74years of age. For 2 weeks have been advised to take 120 mg of varapamil ER,along with 400 mg of magnesium . Irregular pulsating heart beats continue, especially late at night keeping me awake. My concern is the long range effect on my heart.
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Slow rate and hear muscle depression are the immediate effects.
There are no long lasting consequences.

If you are still having the problem of irregular beats - you can opt for like Electro Physiological Stdies (EPS). It resembles angio / a catheter is put inside the heart, electrical activity recorded, stimulation and suppression tests are carried out, suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is invasive and has a minimal risk and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck