Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears. Advised surgery, hearing aid. Opinion?

Good Morning, My 30 year old son was just diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears conduit I believe. One ear has 60% loss and the other 40%. I think he was scared by his ent with surgery for this condition because he was told there is a 1 in 100 chance he could become deaf in the ear from the surgery. I would like him to consider all options on this before getting a hearing aid but don t know if the surgery would be a good option but having a hearing aid at 30 is not all that appealing to him either. How should he go about making the correct decision on this? He does not live near us so its difficult to help. He is living in Atlanta, GA. Any suggestions of great dr s in Atlanta for another consult or any suggestions would help. Thank you, Barbara Poole, Milford, CT
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  208
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Your son is all thirty ears and of course very conscious about his appearance and in spite of that if he has agreed to wear a hearing aid then i guess you can consider the other option that is surgery:
1. The surgery to otosclerosis is a simple, safe and a relatively minor surgery which if successful can give your son an almost normal hearing right on the table!
2. The surgery is performed always on the worst ear that is the ear having more loss so your better ear is not touched!!
3. In a worse case scenario where the statistics rule then only the worse ear is lost and you still have the better ear and since you have already agreed to wear the hearing aid, it will not be a change from the original plan! But this type of failure is very rare.

I would thus advice you to undergo the surgery as the results are very good in experienced hands

take care

decide well

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Thu, 22 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor