Diagnosed with multiple cysts in kidney. What are the treatment options?

my relative has recently been diagnosed with multiple cysts in both kidneys; here is what the ultrasonograph test say: Multiple cystic areas of different sizes are seen in different parts of both right (largest one: 1.7 cm X 1.6 cm) and left kidneys (largest one: 2.2 cm X 2.1 cm). my question: are they benign or is my relative s condition bad already? what are the treatment options?
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012
Nephrologist 's  Response
cystic disease in kidney are generally benign conditions like Polycystic disease. just the cyst size or number has nothing to do with the prognosis of the disease. you have to meet a nephrologist to give you the correct diagnosis. and dont worry just having cyst is not a bad situation . you need urine routine, kidney function tests and other investigations to classify the amount of damage. hope this helps.