Diagnosed with mild AR, have high BP. Could heart issue be causing this?

Hi, I am 40 ys M, 91 kg ,went to doctor and it was found that i had BP of 150/90. Later I had to undergo 2D echo where i was diagnosed with MILD AR. There is regurigitaion of maximum 15 mmHg and its being compensated by thickening of left ventrical and trileaflet aortic valve . There is no other issue with the heart . So, I wanted to know if the BP is caused by this MILD AR heart problem? I am Is it necessary to take this medicine to reduce the BP level. . Please adivice on my condition.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

- AR (mild) can NOT cause this BP
- It is necessary to take medicine for BP / Untreated BP can worsen AR, can damage the eyes, kidney, heart or brain.

You should reduce your weight
Check your Lipid and kidney...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Pankaj Malhan's  Response
Mild Aortic Regurgitation is not the cause of the hypertension, mostly it is because of the atherosclerosis, although high blood pressure can put pressure on the heart valves ,with leakage .
Your BP needs treatment as more and more evidence is suggesting that keeping blood pressure close to 120/80 prevents cardiovascular events,.
Also I have noticed that your weight is 91 kg, You probably need to look into this as well, as obesity leads to hypertension.
You will be benefit from weight reduction as far as blood pressure levels are concerned.