Diagnosed with lung cancer. On radiotherapy and chemotherapy before surgery. Recent MRI showing tumor near spinal cord. How this was not detected earlier?

Hi my 51 yr old father has recently been diagonsed with lung cancer April 2012. we was initally told that it was treatable and curable by using chemotherapy alongside radiotherapy in order to shrink the tumor (4.5cm) small enough in order for it to be surgically removed. We was also told that The tumor is located at the top right hand lung, and is touching the ribs as to why it needs to be shrunk. my father has undertaken two courses of chemotherapy so far. Today my father went to an appointment to discuss the use of radiotherapy. He was then told that the original strength of radiotherapy suggested is too strong as the recent mri scan has shown it to be too close to the spinal cord . This is very distressing and shocking news as we was not made aware that the tumor was any were near the spinal cord. my father has been made to believe the disease he has is curable and has now been given this shocking news. the questions we would like to ask is: 1) because of the positioning of the tumor was there any way of knowing this at the initial diagnosis and they have chosen to keep this away from my father? what is my fathers likely prognosis? we would be very grateful for your response.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012