Diagnosed with liver abscess, low Hb and platelet count. History of asthma. Doing platelet transfusions. Enlarged spleen

Hi, my dad has been admitted to a hospital for a week now. He has been diagnosed with a liver abscess (3cm), low Hb (abt 7.5), very low platelet counts (10,000 - 12,000) and some ulceration in the esophagus. The accurate cause of the low platelet counts could not be determined yet. Tests like dengue, cancer etc have come negative. The last option that the doctors are looking for is a bone marrow test and fungal infection. But they have not been able to conduct the test due to severe bronchial spasms (he has a history of asthma). On a chest CT they have found bleeding inside his lungs (due to low platelets as per the doctor). We have been doing platelet transfusions but his body is not retaining the platelets beyond 10-12 hours. His spleen is enlarged but not resulting in high platelet destruction as check via an endoscopy couple of days back. The doctors are at a loss as to the cause of the low platelet counts. Please advise what steps/tests should be taken going forward. Internal bleeding in the lungs is causing a serious concern. Please recommend any specialists in Bangalore whom I can approach on this case.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013