Diagnosed with lesions on spine and ribs, scheduled for biopsy, advised chemotherapy. What could it be?

my mom has lesions on her spine and ribs. This was confirmed by some mercury testing scan (dont know the exact thing). They will conduct a biopsy tomorrow. I am really scared. the lab technician said it would require chemotherapy , though the oncologist wants to wait till the biopsy results come in. 56 years old/ female/ was detected with very minor osteoarthiritis some time back. could that be causing this.
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012