Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Regular smoker of Marijuana, overweight and depressed. Are they related?

my brother has recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism . he has been a regular marijuana smoker for over 25 years. however, because of employment restrictions, he ceased smoking . my question, would the sudden cessation of marijuana smoking after years of use contribute to hypothyroidism? prior to his recent diagnosis, he had never had an issue with weight gain or any other of the common symptoms associated with his thyroid. now overweight and depressed, he wants to smoke so badly, but hasn t yet because of unemployment. thoughts? thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012