Diagnosed with fractured metatarsal bones. Using aircast? Taking Motrin. Can I sleep with aircast? Guidance

Hi- I am a 40yo female, 5'4" 150lbs, healthy,active, never broken a bone before. 2 days ago I was in an auto accident where I was struck by a vehicle going a high rate of speed. I fractured my 4th & 5th metatarsal bones. I was diagnosed yesterday, and placed in an aircraft with a referral to an orthopedic surgeon for next week. However, in the interim, the attending ortho did not provide me with specific instructions on how to use the aircast other than not to bear any weight on the foot-which I have not. I am also using crutches to assist me when walking with the aircast. What I need to know is do I sleep with it on? I took it off when I am laying in bed with my foot elevated applying moist heat, but I need to sleep soon and I am not sure what to do. I Did not sleep with it on last night. The swelling is not subsiding at all which concerns me, but I have never had a fracture or any kind of injury to my feet before so I am not sure what to expect. So should I sleep with it or not? I emailed the ortho assistant but have not heard back yet. Any help or suggested guidance will be appreciated. Also the only medication I am taking is 800mg Motrin every 8 hours. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013