Diagnosed with flu, brown vaginal discharge. On birth control, not taken in regularly. Normal symptoms?

Hi I am a 23 yr old female. I recently was diagnosed with the flu , type a. It s been about 5 days and im still sick. I have been taking a cough syrup with codine in it to help with symptoms but nothing else no antibiotics . Today I went to the restroom and had a lot of Brown discharge . My period isn t due for another week and a half. I m on bc but havent taken it regularly the past week or so due to my sickness. Is this normal?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013