Diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis. Having neck pain, stiffness, numbness in left arm. Treatment?

I have been diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis and need to have surgery on C6 & C7 discs. Have seen a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon. Both agree surgery is needed but they each take a different approach. One recommended an ACDF going into the site from the front of the neck. The other recommended the surgery doing an anterior procedure. I am confused as to why there are differing approaches to the same problem. The symptoms have been present for a couple of years: neck pain and stiffness. Now I am experiencing arm pain and numbness and tingling of the left arm. Physical therapy was attempted for 4 months and brought relief temporarily, but now the symptoms have returned and worsened. I m not sure which surgical approach would be best for me.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013