Diagnosed with cellulitis without running tests, has swollen, red and warm foot that is worsening. Will the infection spread?

My husband was seen at a minor emergency clinic on Monday, he was diagnosed with cellulitis but they never ran any tests such as blood work, ultrasound or cultures on his open wound which is located at the bottom inner left foot . The foot is also swollen, red and warm to the touch and seems to be getting worse since he was seen 2 days ago. The doctor told him that the infection traveled to a vein , again no tests were done to validate his findings. Please help, I m afraid he could get a blood clot or the infection could spread to the bone.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Sep 2012