Diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Shortness of breath while climbing stairs, sleeping. non-smoker. Suggestions?

about a month ago I went to the doctor with severe violent cough attacks, fever, weakeness, shortness of breath, vomiting . X rays were done and it was determined that I had Acute bronchitis . Antibiotics were given to me. The Fever and the regual cough went away. However, I still get the violent cough attacks. While I am coughing, I am gasping for air. It feels that I cant breath. The only way that I start breathing again is by somebody padding my back. Sometimes I feel a sensation like I am drowing. I noticed that I get these cough episodes and gasping for air more when climbing stairs, when cold air enters my mouth, sometimes in the middle of the night. I am not a smoker. I have never smoke in my life and I am not around people that smoke. I am concerned with these episodes where I gasp for air and feel like I cant breath.
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012