Diagnosed with a lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee, physiotherapist diagnosed as runner's knee. Immediate and long term care?

Ì have been diagnosed with a lateral collateral ligament sprain in my right knee today by the doctor- a week ago a physiotherapist diagnosed it as runner s knee and gave me exercises- no mri done today- now I have been asked to rest- what should be my best care plan- I have a travel coming up in 3 weeks. I have not been prescribed a brace, but only rest and avoiding repetitive bending, rotation etc-.It is possible that I had injured it 9 months ago, but I did not realise it? What should be the immediate and long term care?
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012