Diagnosed with Mastocytoma. Allergic to dog. Allergy can be outgrown?

My son was diagnosed with a Mastocytoma at the age of 4 mos. He is currently almost 4 and we just bought a puppy. He is showing clear signs of contact allergy with the dog. Are we compromising his health by exposing him to this puppy. Currently, allergy medication is only needed when he is exposed to very windy and pollen filled air. As his father, I have a lenghy history of allergies/ asthma . I fear that one a day medication will be needed everyday, along with a slough of other preventative items to try and keep the allergy reaction to a minimum. Is there a chance this allergy is outgrown and how long is advised before we take action, i.e. getting rid of the puppy?
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012