Diagnosed with GERD, have respiratory infections, advised to wrap stomach around base of esophagus. Suggestions ?

after being diagnosed with GERD and having respiratory infections for 2 years a surgeon wants to do surgery on my stomach to wrap the stomach around the base of the esophagus . My cousin said this is a last resort and not to be taken lightly. i am considering Mayo after being shuffled off from specialist to specialist before i finally had GI and throat scope and Bravo test. I am 56 year old farmer that is 5 10 and 180 pounds I am in shape and have really been taken down the past couple of years. I am taking 40 mg of protonix twice a day. Insurance wont pay for nexium
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013