Diagnosed with GERD. On ranitidine and antacid. Is fever associated with costochondritis?

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GERD BUT NO LAB. WAS MADE ONLY ECG. AND ALSO THE DOCTOR TOLD ME MAYBE IT WAS ALSO COSTOCHONDRITIS .IS FEVER ASSOCIATED WITH COSTOCHONDRITIS?I HAD SHORTNESS OF BREATHING,I NEED TO YAWN JUST TO BREATH AND FEEL MUCH BETTER.IT WAS 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN I FELT AFTER EATING THAT MY STERNUM IS IN PAIN.THE DOCTORS PRESCRIBED ME AT FIRST RANITIDINE , ANTACID AND MEFENAMIC ACID . THE PAIN WAS GONE IN 3 DAYS. BUT IT CAME BACK AND UNTIL NOW IT HURTS ME.. I WENT TO ER BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID IT WAS HEART ATTACK BUT STILL GERD THEY WAS THINGKING. THEY PRESCRIBED OMEPRAZOLE FOR 1 WEEK AND MOTILLIUM FOR 3 DAYS. AND WHEN IN PAIN CELECOXIB. PLEASE HELP ME..GODBLESS THANK YOU
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Every case of such symptoms should be diagnosed with upper GI endoscopy. Only in that way we are able to tell what if causing your symptoms. It can be GERD, but it can be also peptic ulcer, stomach mucosa inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection or even stomach cancer. That is why this test is so important. Moreover, during this test, H.Pylori infection can be verified. It is possible that after an antibiotics treatment and Omeprasole (should be 40 mg) treatment, your symptoms will go away permanently.
It is very common that GERD is associated with asthma. Your shortness of breath can be a symptom of this disease. To have it diagnosed you should have a blow test (so called spirometry). It might be necessary to start treatment with bronchi dilating medicines.

Hope this will help.
Regards.