Diagnosed with Epilepsy, elevated ALT and AST, had recreational drug and alcohol before lab test. Causes of this result?

My adult son was diagnoised with epilespy about two years ago and has been on lamitical and keppra since then. On Monday morning had CMP done and AST was 42 (labs normal range 8-35) and ALT 112 (labs normal range 7-40) and lamatical levels were 1.7(labs normal range 2.0-20.0) He is a recreational drug and alcohol user. He did go out to a club the weekend before the labs were drawn. What are some of the causes of the elevated ALT and AST?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013