Diagnosed with Chilari malformation. Is it possible to miss a tethered spinal cord in MRI?

Is it possible to miss a tethered spinal cord in X-ray and MRI? I m nineteen and diagnosed with Chiari malformation and will have surgery next week. When I got my scans done there was no mention that my spinal fluid is being blocked or that my brain and brain stem are shifted, which were evident after a second look. The more I look into it some of my past and present symptoms seem like they could be attributed to tethered cord. What is the likelihood that it was missed and are there risks to go untreated? Thank you!
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013