Diagnosed with COPD with emphasyma, having cough. Is it possible to stop the cough ?

Hello, I am a 41 year old woman and was diagnosed with COPD with emphasyma when I was 39. My doctor told me that I do not have chronic bronchitis though. I thought that I had it because I got tired easily and cough daily. I was wondering if it possible to stop the cough and if the diagnosis could be a mistake because my father and aunt smoked more than me from teenhood and passed away from COPD with emphasyma in there 70s and 80s. Also Iwas wondering if there is any hope for a cure? Lots of medicnes tell me to consult a doctor before taking them if you have emphasyma ( Midol, VIcks , cough medicines). Why?Could a fire cause this disease? Is there a best doctor or hospital in the country or abroad to for this disease? Thank you very much for your help.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013