Diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukemia. Spread to brain and spine. Chances of survival?

My brother was diagnoised with aml 3 weeks ago he just finished what they called 7 plus 3 therapy as of Tuesday they now say the deseae has spread to his brain and spine they will start another chemo treatment today the Dr. is very evasive about his future they just keep telling us they are treating it. I am in a differant state than he is and am scared to ask many questions maybe you can help me. #1 what are the chances of survival if any, and what might be the time frame in general are we looking at #2 is this caused by cigerettes #3 is this hereditary
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012