Diagnosed with ASD. Suggestion for corrective surgery and devise closure. Whose advice to follow?

Dear Sir/Madam, My daughter has diagnosed with ASD of 19mm at 2.5yrs age during routine check up for flue infection. Have checked with 4 different Cardiologists and with a team of cardiac surgeon . Two doctors says corrective surgery should be done right away two says better to do the corrective procedure after 3.5, stating the reason for ASD size of 19mm at least baby has 15-19kg weight where by baby has 12.5kg only. Doctors suggest devise closure in case devise failed then open heart surgery. All doctors says devise closure is best one compare to open heart surgery. I am diliama on two issues She doesn t have any symptoms except occasional flue, running nose and cough . 1) Which advise to follow? Wait to she gain weight or do procedure right away. is there any logic that corrective procedure can be done basis body weight or age ?? 2) What is the best corrective procedure. Open heart or devise. My apprehension is that in devise closure, there is no study report available on a life long experience on devise implants. This is a new technique of 15-20yrs and no report a person fitted with devise and lived as long as more than 50-60yrs. where in open heart surgery there would be scar and being a baby girl there may be some cosmetic issues on that. 3) Apart from corrective surgery is there any atlernate cure is available on ASD closure?? 4) Sorry but another observation I have seen that Cardiologists prefer devise closure where surgeons says Devise closure or Surgery !!!! Could any body through some light on this two points?? rgds rajan mathew
Asked On : Thu, 28 Jun 2012