Diagnosed throat infection. Having coughing fits, difficulty in swallowing saliva, breathing. Any alternative for penicillin?

I ve had a sore throat with constant cough for 2-3 weeks. On Friday I was diagnosed by local GP with a throat infection. I was put on Erythromycin , 4 x 500mg/day. My symptoms have worsened to the point of coughing fits where it s difficult to catch a breath, as well as becoming more difficult even to swallow own saliva... Allergic to penecillin - any alternatives I should ask my GP about on Monday when they re-open?
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013