Diagnosed herniation with severe nerve root compression, poor ankle reflexes, pain. Can it heal by itself without surgery?

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with large l5s1 herniation with severe nerve root compression and significant DDD at that disc. Treated for 2 wks with acupuncture but a twist renewed the agony. Symptons were poor ankle reflexes unable to toe rise and painful sciatica .. Surgery was arranged for 4 days later however the feeling started to return and could do tow rise on morn of surgery so surgeon postponed ... This was 5 wks ago. I still have skin numbness at back of leg and last two toes and am very limited in what I can do. I take 100 mg anti inflamm a day stopped other meds 3 days ago. Can a large herniation heal by itself. I am usually a fit healthy perso. (yoga 2 a week cardio and weights 3 timesaver week) there has been improvements in mobility etc. anyway 36 female 126 lb 5'3 .. I should add that I didn't get the MRI for 2 wks and only had acupuncture and paracetamol for pain relief during that time the onslaught of sciatica was horrendous and fast but improved !!
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013