1. L5,S1 herniation is either due to Trauma or bad posture (postural dysfunction), please specify your's?
2. because DDD (degenerative disc disease
) is there, probably weak inter-vertebral
disc due to poor posture can be the the cause (only proved otherwise), and L5,S1 is the commonest site for herniation.
3. Compression of sciatic nerve
has lead to Sciatica, L5 nerve impingement has lead to numbness and causes weakness in extending the big toe (foot drop
),whereas S1 nerve impingement results in loss of ankle reflex (patient cannot do toe rises).
4. Any bladder/bowel dysfunction?
5. have you consulted for Osteopathic/chiropractic manipulation?
6. Symptomatic disc herniation rarely heal on their own, but before opting for surgery, please consult a physiotherapist (PT)for the same, but before that make sure you get an MRI done of the spine to rule out any STENOSIS, which could result in edema and MASSAGE given by PT will further aggravate the symptoms.
7. If you are insured,check with the Insurance company about the same.
8. If pain and symptoms continue, consider microdisectomy or lumbar herniated disc