Diagnosed for essential hypertension. Taking beta blocker. What medication to take?

Hi I m 41 year old. I ve diagnosed for essential hypertension when I was 18 years and since then taking beta blocker . Currently I m taking ciplar 40 LA and espin 2.5. Over the last one year my blood sugar levels are going up, though my blood pressure is under control. Could the rise in blood sugar (currently fasting is around 210) be due to the medication I m taking? One of the doc s tried putting me on to some other medication (other than beta blocker) but I had bouts of palpitations and was not comfortable using the same. Please confirm if beta blockers would hamper my lever and lead to these side effects. Also confirm how can i switch from beta blocker?
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012