Diagnosed Peripheral Artery Disease, surgery suggested. Alcoholic, unable to walk. Mental and physical effects of PAD?

I have a question about Peripheral Artery Disease. My uncle has been diagnosed with it and he s scheduled to have surgery within the next couple months to have it fixed. I m aware that PAD causes numbness in the legs but I m wondering about how much it affects a person s ability to walk. My uncle is also somewhat an alcoholic. He s not as bad as he use to be since he s been diagnosed but he still drinks beer daily. He staggers and falls occasionally when he tries to stand or walk. He claims that it is the PAD but there are suspicions that he s still drinking too much and maybe sneaking liquor . I m sure that it s both that causes it but I m just wondering how much of the PAD could be causing it. I d like to know any information of more of the mental and physical effects rather than the biological aspect of it.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013