Diabetic, social drinking due to job. Can I have vodka or light beer?

Recently I got diagnosis that I am diabetic. Now I have control my diet and doing regular exercises. But I am light social drinker and I cant avoid some parties because of my job profile. I am not having any alcohol since I come to know about it, But I cannot avoid for longer. I come to know that I can have Vodka in parties as Vodka is made of Wheat grains and doesn t have any Sugar in it. Please suggest me , I will be grateful for your advise or either suggest me if I have any other options like light beer or anything.Thanks in advance for your valuable support
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012