Diabetic, on treatment for fatty liver and hepatomegaly, have itching and burning in scrotum area, prescribed tacrolimus. Will it harm me?

I am 35 yrs old, male with diabetes. I was having itching and burning sensation in my scrotum area for the last two months. My doctor gave many creams but they all were making the condition worse. So ultimately he asked me to apply tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment which has given some relief. Due to excessive drinking for many years, my liver has been affected – fatty and hepatomegaly for which treatment is going on like abstinence from alcohol, vitamins etc. I have read that tacrolimus is used orally to suppress the immune system in organ transplant patients. So, my question is whether topical use of tacrolimus ointment harm me ?? I mean my immune system is weak because of previous malnutrition and alcohol (not drinking anymore), so will this topical tacrolimus weaken the immune system further and I have also read that it can also harm the liver ?? Do these things happen only with oral or intraveinous use of tacrolimus or can topical application also weaken the immune system and harm the liver OR is it safe ??
Asked On : Sun, 16 Sep 2012