Diabetic, anemic, blood test showed high platelet count while other readings were low. Possible causes?

My husband had the a blood panel done recently and was told that he is anemic and is being sent to see a hematologist . He is diabetic also. The following were the results for his blood test: Alkaline Phosphatase 37L (low) Hemoglobin A1c 6.6 (high) White Blood Cell Count 3.7 (low) Red Blood Cell Count 3.71 (low) Hemoglobin 11.9 (low) Hematocrit 34 (low) Platelet count 15.3 (high) Absolute Neutrophils 138 (low) Absolute Monocytes 152 (low) Seems to be strange that his platelet count would be high with all the others low. My husband eats well and is not malnourished in any way. Any idea on what could be causing the low readings?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012