Diabetic Patient type 1, pregnant. Doctors preferring operation mode for child birth. Is normal delivery possible?

My wife is a diabetic Patiant type 1, daily took 2 times insulin .. now she was 9 month pregnency our Gynacologist docter prefered Operation mode for child birth because they dont want to take rescue.. same hospital we consulting diabetic specialist also... they said they both will take care of my wife and child... MY QUESTION IS, IS OPERATION IS THE ONLY CHOICE FOR CHILD DELIVERY? IS NORMAL IS NOT POSSIBLE? Please give me valuable suggest?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013