Diabetes, persistent wound in the great toe, X-ray showed osteomyelitis, no improvement with antibiotics. Suggestion?

My father is 70-year-old is a know diabetic from the past 10 years. Right now, he is suffering from left great toe infection. He has wound in the left great toe which has not healed from the past 4 months. X-rays reveal osteomyelitis of the bone. Vascular surgeon has shifted the case to orthopedics . Now he is on antibiotics, but the wound is not healing, sinus drainage is present. what would be the next option, i do not know, I am worried, if we delay, it may end up with excision of that particular bone,, please give me a feed back on this regard
Asked On : Sun, 13 May 2012