Diabetes not controlled with medication. Having nausea, confusion, sleepiness, weightloss, loss of apetite. Suggestions?

my partner is type II diabetic but recently his sugars are not controlled with his usual medication . He is currently about to be referred to the hospital but in the meantime nurse has tried him on gliclazide, which has failed to make a difference. I have noticed him having bouts of nausea and confusion and he just sleeps all the time. he has also been losing weight and often doesnt want to eat. The highest reading on his monitor was 25 the other day, mostly his reading are around 20 plus after food, and anything between 13 - 16 before food. should we be making a fuss at the surgery to get him seen asap at the hospital? he has been told he will have to inject insulin now but we are still waiting to be referred and Iam worried about his symptoms / subsequent damage ?
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013