Diabetes, itchy skin, feels like a sunburn, not able to sleep. What should be done?

my brother has been diagnosed with diabetes and is beeing bothered by itching skin . He says it feels like a sunburn but nothing is there. He goes through bottles of lotion but it only helps for a while. He also bathes in an oatmeal scrub and it helps also for a while. He has itching on his growning and around his waist including his back. His clothing will rub and it makes it worse including a bedtime with his sheets . He says he will wake up through out the night because of this itching . He is seeing a specialist for his diabetes and a family docor but nether one has suggested anything to help him with these even after he has mentioned it to them. Can you give me something to tell him that would help him.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012