Developed varicose vein. Tenderness, hard lump in the spot. Prescribed various tests. See doctor immediately or wait for results?

Hello Dr. Christensen. I am 53, female. In the past 3 months I have developed a prominent varicose vein in my right leg, posterior, beginning approximately 5 inches above the knee and extending approximately 5 inches down into my calf . Yesterday I noticed that it was tender in one spot and when I examined it there is now a hard lump the size of a marble, red around it and warm to the touch. I have a scheduled appt with my MD on Jan 15, 2013, a follow up for on gong hypothyroidism . I am going to have blood tests on Monday--standard thyroid panel, as well as Comprehensive Metabolic panel , CBC, Platelets& Auto Diff, Prothrombin Time and INR for presentation of petechiae he noticed on my abdomen during last visit. My question is--is it safe to wait til the 15th to see physician for the vein lump development?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013