Developed shin splints. Applied ice. Painful when running. Need for concern?

I started running last summer and developed shin splints . I took a couple of weeks off and iced them. When I started back, they still hurt. I just stopped running all together. The pain never really totally went away. I still felt it when walking down stairs and to touch. I started running again 6 weeks ago and the pain came back. I have been just toughing it out and doing stretches and exercises to strengthen the shin muscle. The pain has gotten more tolerable, but now I have discovered a painful not on the inside, lower part of each shin, not far above my ankles. Is this something to be concerned about, or can I keep training and doing my stretches and exercises?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013