Developed a big swelling and hard lump n the left side of his neck overnight.. What could it be? Worried?

my 5 yr old son developed a big swelling and hard lump on the left side of his neck overnight. It was very painful and he cd not even move his neck . His pediatrican put him on anitbiotics etc and the swelling subsided and so did the pain. The hard lump persists thoguh it is smaller is size and slightly painfult to touch. It has been about 9 days since the probelm started . What cd this be . ? the doctor told me not to worry but i am concerned abt cancers. My son has no other complaints .
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Thanks for writing to Health Care magic
Most of the lumps in children are usually due to infections. They improve with a course of antibiotic. Ur child's swelling has come down with treatment and this itself is an evidence that it is infectious. Cancerous lumps donot come down with antibiotics. Also cancerous lumps are more common in the oldage. U need not worry but keep a regular followup till the lump completely disappeaars.
Hope this helps u
Thanks and regards