Dermatitis on forearms and back. Given allergy tablets. Allergic reaction to fennel seeds?

My son helped me carry groceries and I had a large stalk of fennel in one of the bags, about five minutes later he had contact dermetitus on both forearms and a little in his back. I gave him two allergy tablets and it went away shortly. I have cooked with fennel in the past. I just realized that he complained about fennel seeds in something as well. I guess that he as a pretty bad allergic reaction to it. Once my brother in law, his uncle complained about fennel as well. Any information about this topic will be usefull. Thank you!
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi!
welcome to HCM!
The allergens in food are responsible for inciting an allergic reaction. They are proteins that usually resist the heat of cooking, the acid in the stomach, and the intestinal digestive enzymes. As a result, the allergens survive to cross the gastrointestinal lining, enter the bloodstream, causing allergic reactions throughout the body. The mechanism of food allergy involves the immune system and heredity.

Avoiding the contact with the offending allergen and in the diet is the primary treatment of food allergy. Once a food to which the patient is sensitive has been identified, the food must be removed from the diet.
Several medications are available for treating the symptoms of food allergy. antihistamines can relieve gastrointestinal symptoms, hives, sneezing, and a runny nose but the medications are taken after a person inadvertently has ingested a food to which he is allergic. They are not effective, however, in preventing an allergic reaction when taken prior to eating the food. In fact, no medication in any form is available to reliably prevent an allergic reaction to a certain food before eating that food.
hope this helps!
Take care!