Depression. Taking epilim 600mg developed stiffness. Dosage reduced. Is it ok?

My mum has been suffering from depression for over 30 years. She is 74 years old, 80 lbs. For many years, she has been prescribed Epilim 600 mg, Seroxat 30mg, and Stilnox 10 mg every night. Her psychiatric doctors in the public hospital diagnosed her having bipolar symptoms and prescribed Largactil 100 mg and only when recently advised stopping it when she had developed stiffness and found that she had actually dementia . Epilim had been prescribed probably just because of the same misconception, i.e. that she was manic, which was actually due to dementia. She is tired and lying in bed all the day. Our private Geriatric doctor suggests that she withdraws Epilim gradually, reducing it to 300 mg, and then stopping it right away. Is it safe?
Asked On : Wed, 22 Aug 2012