Dentist observed spots that had the potential to develop into a cavity. Should these spots be filled?

I just went to the dentist today (first time with a new dentist) and she said I had spots that have the potential to become a cavity, they are not cavities though. She said I have four and I need to have them filled. They are very tiny and have not yet penetrated the inside of the tooth (they are not even close to that). When I went a few years ago my old dentist said I had something similar to this but just to watch it. That spot is no longer there. Do I really need these spots filled or is the dentist just being too overcautious? I have never had a cavity before, floss regularly and brush my teeth at least twice daily.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012