Delayed, prolonged periods, heavy constant flow. Causes and treatment?

I am 46 yrs olds and have regular periods with a couple of glitches here and there, but this month l started my period as per normal a couple days out , but l have been bleeding for 14 days now not extremely heavy but a a slow constant flow, it has gone heavy over the last two days, what is the mater and what is going on?
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012
If you are sure you cannot be pregnant, the other possibility is the hormonal imbalance associated with peri-menopause, considering your age. You should anyway exclude local causes as a precaution after trying to stop the bleeding with styptics and hormone supplements and get a pap smear, a vaginal swab, trans-vaginal sonogram, urinalysis and a complete hormonal profile. If local causes are negative, a course of hormones and supplements may be necessary. Hope this helps.