Delayed periods. Digital test confirmed pregnancy, doctor says I am not pregnant. Does infection give a false positive?

Hi, i am 5 days late on my period, I took a ditigal test 2 days ago it came back possitive, I went to a clinic and the doctor said I wasn t, I waited a few days and bought a simple cheap lined test which was another brand, took it today and said possitive I m confusied. Am I or could a small infection give a false positive?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Thank you for your query.
Two positives on a urine pregnancy test means there is a high chance of pregnancy.
Infections do not give a false positive.
Could you let me know how did your doctor ascertain your pregnancy.
If it was just a simple pelvic check up, early pregnancies often fail to be detected.
If you underwent a pelvic ultrasound scan, that too often fails to pick up an early pregnancy, particularly if it is delayed conception or an ectopic pregnancy.
Confirmatory in this case would be a blood pregnancy test.
I would advise you to wait for 2 weeks more and then get an ultrasound scan if your periods still do not arrive.
take care