Delayed period. Taking birth control. Transvaginal sonogram negative. What is going on?

I am 3 weeks late for my period. I am on birth control which i missed one day and do not take at exact same time every day. I had sex 3 days prior to my period. I am now 3 & 1/2 weeks late getting that period. I have taken 4 at home pregnancy tests of which only one said positive. I went to the clinic this week and had urine test and transvaginal sonogram done which both came back negative. What is going on? Could it be to early for them to see anything during the sonogram since its only been 3 weeks?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013