Defective condom tore during intercourse, took emergency contraceptive. Had spotting, abdominal pain. Why ?

i had intercourse with my girlfriend on the 23rd of december and she had her periods previously on the 18th.i always use a condom.but the condom was deffective and it tore.although i hadnt ejaculated at all just to be on the safe side from the precum,i made her have an emergency cntraceptive the next day well within 14 hours from the intercourse just so that it wudnt be too late.after a week on the 29th,she experienced bleeding/spotting of blood .and abdominal pain .i read up on the internet that it is a side effect of it true?by when will this there anything to worry about?when will she get her next periods.please help.
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013