Deep shoulder pain on coughing, laughing, breathing after lifting heavy boxes. How to get relief?

hi i was helping a friend move house and i had to lift some heavy boxes. then about 3 days later my left shoulder began to ache a little. i left it and just stretched a bit through out the week. then this week the pain became unimaginable, every time i cough or laugh or even breath in deeply, my shoulder kills. just wondering if i should go to the hospital or something. thanks! would appreciate the feed back :)
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It looks to me that you are either have sprained your shoulder muscles or it can be a partial tear in rotator cuff.I would suggest you to do hot water fomentation and voletran ointment and pain killer like Brufen. If your pain does not subsides in one to three days then I would suggest you to get MRI of the shoulder to confirm the diagnosis.