Dark spots under nail, emitting smell. Toe injury. Is this normal?

Dropped a large object recently on toe . Healing . Very well, no swelling , no redness, but it does have a rather foul odor to it. Have not lost nail yet. It is loose and does not seem to be growing. It has some dark spots under the nail, but minimum. The smell I noticed within the last 4-5 days. Is this normal or could infection be setting in?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
Hello and thanks for the query
In my opinion the foul odor mainly is due to infection of the wound but it can also be present if dressing is not done regularly or soaked for long time period.
If you feel some itching or pus discharge or white colored skin around the wound than it could be infected wound.
Take some care of wound and get rid from infection:
1. Always use sterile gloves and gauges for dressing.
2. Don't touch any non sterile thing with the wound.
3. Do regular dressing and if dressing get soaked than immediately change it.
4. Take regular course of antibiotics.
5. Regular follow up with your doctor.
Consult your doctor and get Aseptic dressing done from him. he can better tell you whether wound in infected or not.
Best Wishes