Dark splotches on the roof of mouth, mild sore throat, had eaten spicy brown mustard. What could be wrong?

I have dark red splotches on the back of the roof of my mouth. My fiance has had a cold which started with a sore throat , but he feels better after 3 days. I feel fine, maybe the slightest sore throat. Just enough that I thought to look at it. And it looks bad. However, I ate really spicy brown mustard with my meal at lunch and now am thinking I could either have something seriosly wrong with me or that I burned my mouth with mustard?......
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012