Dark skin blotches over chest, back, shoulder, spreading, looking like rash. What could be this?

hey doc. im hoping you can answer this mystery that has been bothering for some time regarding my skin..
Im a 22 year african american southern california native with what i would say is an average complexion for a black dude and ever since i was maybe 12 or 13, about the time i entered adolescence, i have started to notice these darkened skin blotches began to appear all over my chest, back, and shoulders. Its has the appearance of a rash, but it does not itch, its more or less dry skin patches that continue to spread as i grow older and they connect with other patches to create a larger patch. It seems to cover the area that would not be visible if i were to wear a t-shirt, which is confusing because its not like i can say its cause from sun damage. I have always routinely moisturize with lotion and even more recently i have use coco butter and Aloe Vera gel on a daily basis but that seems to not make any difference, and once again it only appears around my torso area and not anywhere else. Because i have never really had consistent insurance coverage to request a check-up and gain any real knowledge of my condition. I need to know if you can provide and guidance or knowledge of what i may have and what my next move would be.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013