Dark red spot inside lip, dentist recommended biopsy. What could this be?

Hi, In the past several months I ve noticed a dark red ovalish spot inside my lower lip . It appears to be merely discoloration and is not raised. It doesn t hurt. My dentist noticed it too, last week and recommended a biopsy by an oral surgeon. I don t have great dental insurance so I m waiting instead to see my general physician--in three weeks after her vacation! so she can refer me to a specialist covered by my insurance. The dentist referred to it as a lesion. I m a 52-year-old female in generally good health. What could this be? Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012